Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Does God exist

I dont want to go into the run of the mill debate on this topic. For people who believes that there is no debate on this topic, i kindly refer them to this wiki link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence_of_God


Rather, I just googled "god exists"
and came across this link : http://www.everystudent.com/features/isthere.html

Now firstly i make no claims about the validity, correctness about the article nor do i wish to substantiate the authority of the author on the subject. But what interested me was the fifth point in the article and particularly the following text:

"To be honest, I also had another motive. As I challenged those who believed in God, I was deeply curious to see if they could convince me otherwise. Part of my quest was to become free from the question of God."

I completely agree on this point. I am forever interested if the believers can convince me otherwise. I do not believe that i can do the vice versa i.e. prove the believers that they are wrong. Its impossible because its a belief and you can make some one believe but you cant make someone disbelieve (stupid argument, but it works ), because thats the basic idea of a belief (its axiomtic otherwise it will be a fact), therefore it is self-resursive if you can see. So the only way to come out of recursion is that it has to come from inside, the return call has to be inside the function, from outside it is just an infinite loop. But it would be great if they can do so and convince me that i am wrong because mine is a incremental interactive function which modifies as per the inputs given to it. And moreover this changing attitude is also considered as a negative point.

I see all this very differently. Firstly, i do not wish to represent all the atheists. I see all my beliefs or disbeliefs as my own and things that i have to sought it out myself. But i see that believer always happen in groups. I have never seen a procession carried by non-believers but there have been plenty from the other side.

While writing, i observe i have again deviated from the main point. That point mentioned in the article is taken against me and i do not see any justification. What follows in that article is total gibberish (to me ofcourse). But isnt it good that we have taken a stand and viewing this belief critically. I like the idea that i am questioning this belief. There is a trick here. If i say i do not believe that 2+2=4, then it means that i believe that 2+2 is not equal to 4. but when i say that i do not believe in the existence of God, it does not mean that i believe that God does not exist. It merely says that i do not believe in the existence of God. The algebra of logic does not work here. And thats what my stand is on the whole issue.
To make a formal stand, assume a finite state machine with only 3 states - A ,B and C. A has one self loop and and arrow to B. I am currently at A i.e. i do not believe in existence of God. By assuming this questionable attitude, it can only lead me to B i.e. i believe. But it can never take me to the state C which says that I refute the existence of God. I come up with this fancy theoretical models because i like to do such idiotic things and there is no other pleasure. To a reader i am almost sure, it appears stupid and i dont disagree with you.





2 comments:

Justin said...

something on the "un-grouped-ness" of atheists:
http://indiauncut.com/iublog/article/atheism-not-collecting-stamps/

and the lines u quoted... BEAUTIFUL... i never thought of that stance in that way...
and yes, the line between atheism and agnosticism is indeed blurry!

cheers! :)

Anonymous said...

I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."