Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Once

Once in a while there comes a movie like "Once" which just refreshes you, makes your day and leaves memories forever.
16 hrs ago i heard the song falling slowly 10th time and then went on to blog it here yesterday. Next thing, i downloaded a torrent for the movie and enqueued it. It was going on slowly and had to keep it on for the night. After waking up, the movie was downloaded but it was a spanish dubbed version. fuck it!, searched another torrent and then after 4 more hrs, it was done. Then followed an hr of tussle to wait and watch the movie at night but patience was unbearable (Movies are somehow better in the peace of night). So here i am 100 mins later and yes, i have watched Once.

Its beautiful! Simple, plain and brilliant! Its a love story of two ordinary people who love music. Music in the movie is Irish as is the location. I have heard Irish music in movies only and i have loved them. Other Irish movies that i recommend are - Evelyn and Cold mountain. Since i am an Indian and Indian movies are filled with the above two ingredients - love and music, its surprising that i love this movie way better than all of them. This is definitely my #2 best love story movie, the first spot is taken by Before sunset.

I was watching Tarantino's review the other day on Chungking express and he says that he hasn't met a person who has watched Chungking express and do not have a crush on Faye Wong's character. And i completely agree with Tarantino (can you disagree with god ?). So here's a list of characters on whom i have a crush:
1. Faye Wong in Chungking express.
2. Marketa Irglova in Once.
3. Nhu Quynh Nguyen in Mua he chieu thang dung (At the height of summer / The vertical ray of Sun)
4. Gayatri Joshi in Swades.
5. Julie Delpy in Before Sunset/sunrise.
6. Scarlette Johnson in Lost in Translation.

Ofcourse the list will grow on and on..... Strangely both Faye Wong and Marketa Irglova are singers first and actors later. I conclude this post by this beautiful song - The hill, written and sung by Marketa Irglova.
Lyrics:

Walking up the hill tonight
and you have closed your eyes
I wish I didn't have to make
all those mistakes and be wise
Please try to be patient
and know that I'm still learning
I'm sorry that you have to see
the strength inside me burning

Where are you my angel now
don't you see me crying?
And I know that you can't do it all
but you can't say I'm not trying
I'm on my knees in front of him
but he doesn't seem to see me
But all his troubles on his mind
he's looking right through me
And I'm letting myself down
beside this fire in you
And I wish that you could see
that half my troubles too

Looking at you sleeping
I'm with the man I love
I'm sitting here weeping
while the hours pass so slow
And I know that in the morning
I'll have to let you go
And you'll be just a man
once I used to know
And for these past few days
someone I don't recognise
This isn't all my fault
when will you realise

Looking at you leaving, I'm looking for a sign



2 comments:

aman said...

thanks for writing this post..
i got to know a couple of movies i should see :)

aman said...

oh i saw this movie in the flight..
was very nice..
but now u need to suggest nother movie :)