Monday, November 17, 2008

From across the universe to maama mia!

Across the Universe and Maama Mia!
A comparison, sort-of-a review and some thass!

I watched Maama Mia recently and while watching it, i was constantly reminded of Across the Universe. Both are musicals in the sense that all songs are taken from a band and fit in the film appropriate to the story. Across the Universe uses Beatles and Maama Mia has songs from Abba.

While Across the universe was very very good, maama mia is an average movie with bad direction. Abba songs are chirpy but sung with an intensity, both of these things are missing in maama mia songs. Even the story line is not the best to use Abba songs. But the worst part is that actors singing abba songs differ a lot from the original. While its always good to watch Pierce Brosnan in a non-bond movie, Merryl Streep was a disappointment to me , i expected better.

On the other hand Across the universe took unheard actors (atleast to me) but they sung very well. But all difference was made in direction as Julie Taylor handled the story very well. Another point was that i was familiar with Abba music, so to me for some in maama mia, it was a sacrilege. They ripped them off. And justin told me the same thing after listening to songs of across the universe , but i ignored him as he is a Beatle-maniac :).

But one good thing about maama mia was that it made me realize that abba in addition to good music had also some great lyrics as well. That was a revelation to me in some songs. I guess the biggest blunder of Maama mia was to not use the song - thank you for the music in climax. I was waiting for it till the end.

It is a very interesting genre of movie making..basing your story in a backdrop of some band's music. But you are walking a very thin line. I am waiting for movies using coldplay, doors and zepplin. Or are they already there?

No comments: