Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kehet Kabir, Suni bhai sadho - Ajab Sheher mein

Its been a long time i have been blabbing about my love with Kabir. Here is my first community work. Ajab sheher mein sung by Prahlad Singh Tipaniya and party.
Ajab shaher mein is one of my favourite Kabir songs. Tipaniya sahab, in his usual style starts the song by couple of kabir dohe.





ह्रदय मांही आरसी , और मुख देखा नाहीं जाए
मुख तोह तब ही देखियो जब दिल की दुविधा जाए

Within the heart, there is a mirror, but cant see the face
You will only see the face when, doubt goes away from heart



वास्तु कहाँ ढूंढें कहाँ , कई विधि आवे हाथ
वास्तु ठिकाने पाईये , जब भेदी लीन्हा साथ

Where are you searching?
which technique will get it to your hands?
You will find what you seek
when you take the wise one along!


भेदी लीन्हा साथ में वास्तु दीन्ही लखाए
कोटि जनम का पंथ था, वहां पल में पहुंचा जाये
You took a wise one along,
She showed you where it lay
A path that would have taken million births
You got there in a second









रंग महेल में अजब शहर में
आजा रे हंसा भाई
निर्गुण राजा पे सिरगुन सेज बिछाई


अरे हाँ रे भाई, उना देवलिया में देव नाहीं
झालर कूटे गरज कैसी ?


अरे हाँ रे भाई, बेहद की तो गम नाहीं
नुगुरा से सेन कैसी ?


अरे हाँ रे भाई,अमृत प्याला भर पाओ
भाईला से भ्रांत कैसी ?


अरे हाँ रे भाई, कहें कबीर विचार
सेन माहीं सेन मिली





In your colorful palace, your wondrous city
Come, my swan brother,
A lovely cover spreads over the formless king

Oh , yes, my brother
there is no God in that temple
So whats the point
in beating the going?

Ah yes, my brother,
there is no road to the limitless
What sign will you show
to one without a guru?

Ah yes, my brother
share freely your cup of nectar
Why keep it from your friends?

Ah yes, my friends
Kabir says think about it
find the sign
in the sign!!
(meaning - you can only see the sign - stop asking others to help you)



Acknowledgments and Disclaimer: Thanks to the Kabir project for releasing the translation. Thanks to the BeatofIndia.com for releasing the Kabir vani album. I have taken the liberty to post them on this blog with the only intention of sharing the beauty of words and music

4 comments:

Ravi S said...

Thanks for the post....

Unknown said...

Very interesting post. The lyrics you have provided are invaluable. I actually picked your blog from indianraga as I was looking for information on kabir. I would like to leave the same comment here as well. From various sites that I have visited it is becoming apparent that Kabir was much more than a poet or a saint. His teachings are matchless. This site Kabir Sahib and
www.jagatgururampalji.org
actually consider Kabir to be God. I have also copied a couple of articles on to my blog on Kabir. Thank you again for such an interesting collection of Kabir Vani. The words are just immaculate. Also this site spiritual.comuv.com has very interesting Kabir Vani in form of dohas. Thanks again.

Kumar Shanu said...

Superb ... you are the one who is keeping alive these things.... being more posted _/\_

Unknown said...

May I print ~20 copies of this and distribute to the members of my sangha, giving credit where credit's due?
With gasshô,
Kiká