Monday, July 26, 2010

Life in May 22 - July 25

2 months of my life in one post. Difficult to sum it all up especially if it includes a trip to India.

Starting with what was missed in last life in series.

I attended an American wedding of a colleague (Christine). I was late by 30 mins and i missed the actual ceremony. The event was at Sonomal golf course, a very well organized event. I was in time for the dinner and post-ceremony celebrations. The highlight was the cake which was based on some game theme which had a symbolism running under it. There were speeches, dances, toasts and good food. This happened on May 1st.

Ok, now about this installment's updates:

India trip - June 4 - July 5. Haha! 1 month. Multiple other posts update. Highlights - meeting parents, Aarti, other relatives and few friends; Studying and giving human rights law exam; traveling; books; movies; and ofcourse eating best food ever :)

Pre - India trip:
Went to a hike to Stanford dish with Nikesh, Pramod, Gurshi and Vamsi. Nice small 5 mile hike. It was also very closeby. The highlight of this hike was the company. I organized the group and hence i was responsible for maps and directions etc. Hehe, little they knew how bad i am at it. So, we went to a randomal hill first and then turned back because the grass touched our waists. It is then they described to me my GPS formula - Arvind aankh band kar ke haath ghoomata hai. Jahan haath jata hai wahin pe chalna shuru kar deta hai. Lots of PJs. But a nice morning hike.

India trip planning, H1 B visa status stamping documentation etc.

Post India trip -

Many things have happened post India trip. Life again became first different, then busy and then non-existent until i sat writing this post.

1. On my first knitting night after coming back, i finished my hat. I didn't knew it would be so soon. Pictures will be taken and posted soon.

2. Bought an ipad. This happened on July 10. Why did i buy it? I do not know. It costs freaking 700$. How did it happen? I went to buy an iphone 4 but they didn't had any in stock. So Gurshi said that now we are here, we have to buy something. And convinced me to buy it. A detailed ipad review post will be done soon. But for now, it suffices to say that it was not a bad decision.

3. Bought furniture. Continuing on my impulsive buying streak, i bought a 3 seater sofa and one lazy boy and one small center table. I am feeling good about this purchase. Apartment now feels like a home now. I can sit here and read book now (previously all book reading was done in coffee shops).

4. Some more shopping done - Bought jeans and jacket. Went to a mall second time after coming to US. First time was to buy the coat for a marriage.

5. Next knitting project started. It is to knit an ipad cover. Have bought the yarn and needles. The pattern is taken from here - http://community.knitpicks.com/profiles/blogs/pattern-for-felted-ipad-tote. But my knitting master, a colleague at office has decided to leave his job and join Google. But he is going to continue on knitting nights. So thats good. He was also a very good mentor to me. But overall mixed emotions from my side. Happy for him though.

5. Yash buaji passed away. Sad. Don't know how to react. A few times, whenever i met her, i always loved her. She was so lively all the time. Full of life. Always got a feeling of warmth and happiness from her, as someone who was internally happy. Very few people give that vibe, really very very few people. May she rest in peace!.

6. Pt. reach beach meetup - Over time, i have realized that i knoe very few other Indians in bay area. I joined a meetup group called Bay area india junction but never went to any one their meetups. Then, i came to know that they are organizing it on Drakes beach in point Reyes. Naturally i signed up because i love Pt. Reyes. I also really wanted Pramod to see the place. It is a very beautiful place. I also sogned up for carpool as a volunteer to take my car. Pavani and Anshul went with me and it was great to know them. At Pt. Reyes, first we went to see the lighthouse which was kinda cool. We climbed down and up about 320 stairs for it. At the beach, we played volleyball and antakshari. Made some good friends and overall it looked like a very good group. I made eqiuty waale paneer ke sandwiches. Overall a good fun saturday.

7. Have again started training with Asha as part of their season 2. Ran 3 miles yesterday. Targetting the half marathon in October.


8. Movies -
Inception - The much awaited movie by Christopher Nolan. Quite good, very innovative. Deserves at least one watching if not more.
Sorcerer's apprentice - Very disappointing. Do not even try.
Kisses - Went to this one as part of camera cinema club. I have signed for membership. Liked the movie. Kisses is an Irish indie movie based on the life of two eleven year olds who run from their home to the city and it shows how they survive in city there. Very good camera work and great performance by the young actors. Camera cinema club is awesome!

9. Desktop tower defense - the game on ipad is now my latest addiction.

1 comment:

Gursharan Singh said...

"So Gurshi said that now we are here, we have to buy something. And convinced me to buy it." --- Man, that is such an understatement of all the good reasons I gave you. And since you anyways dont regret it, I am just happy to assume that you found purpose :P