Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Cofeehouse Investor

I am playing with stocks now. I have accounts with etrade and optionshouse and am beginning to follow the stock market.  I, who had never understood how stocks work; I, who had no intention of buying stocks; I, who was tired of listening from others about stock market discussions. I have now decided to invest 5000$ into stock market. Nothing more, nothing less.

So, after sharing my crappy investment ideas with Nikesh and bitching about that how GOOG has screwed me over (it went to 490 after i bought it at 555), Nikesh recommended this book to me - The Coffeehouse Investor. With just the title alone, i was excited. Being an avid coffee lover, any book that combines coffee and investing, hooyaaah!!

Website - http://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/
 Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/New-Coffeehouse-Investor-Wealth-Ignore/dp/159184245X/ref=sr_1_1

Here is my review on the book, it is a good book. It is a very practical book for newbie investors like me. This book goes to the core of stock markets (in a completely non technical manner) and tells us the fundamentals of stock market. It has a no BS approach and ridicules a lot of mutual funds and other stock market constructed tools which mostly work in the favor of wall street.

Basically, the advise can be summed in these steps (a) Invest in stock market as it is essential (b) Invest in index funds because index funds are aggregate and as stock markets rise, index funds will also rise and (c) Dont listen to the BS and wrong marketing messages of wall street jokers

There are many more tips but the last three were the main points that i derived.

The blog on the site looks very interesting, something to follow.

No comments: