Sunday, September 16, 2012

Long Strides - The story of KTM 2012


The pain has not gone out yet. There is still dard-e-disco happening in my whole body. It took me about 3hrs 15 mins (final timing is not out yet) for me to finish KTM Half marathon today - first half marathon in India, second HM of my life.  Although my goal was to not run for time, but i had expected better from myself.

 Just before the race start, we saw the Sun as a giant red-ball rising far away. It was a very scenic sunrise, but we all knew that  soon we will hate it. My race start was just the way i had wanted - steady rhythm and decent pace. It was all going to plan, i was at the half way point and now i just had to return back. But just when i started to walk back, i started to feel the heat.

During my training, i had always drank water, no electrol/tang or gatorade, plain water. I also knew that 21Km can be done without any salt pills, bananas or other foods. During my first half, i smiled when i saw Peanuts, Salted potato chips, sandwiches there. But during second half, i started feeling dizzy. I instinctively knew that i am getting dehydrated, i felt salt particles on my face and arms. I had heard people fainting during races, i had never imagined it would be me but with my current form, i knew i had to do something.

Running is not a competitive event. If it is at all a race, it is with oneself. Running is an art of knowing oneself, paying to attention to tiny bodily functions, it is a feedback mechanism. At the 12.5K water stop, i just drank water, still believing that water will take care of everything. The Sun was now burning on me and my pace slowed down. I was feeling more dizzy. Somehow i reached to 14K water stop and i knew i had to do something.I gulped down 4-5 glasses of electrol. Not knowing how the food will react to my body, i chose to eat everything in less quantities - 2 peanuts, 1 chip, small orange piece, half sandwich. Not everything can be bad.  When i started running, very soon i realized that i had over compensated and now found even more difficult to run.

At this point, i would like to take you back in time. I had been fairly regular in Runners High  runs during the season. About 5 weeks ago, i ran 18K with no difficulty at all at the Decathlon trail. Then i left for Himalayan trek where i did about 12Km trek everyday for six straight days and this included a good deal of ascent. After the trek, i was fairly confident that i was ready for the half marathon. So confident that i skipped next two weeks of runs. Stupid! Stupid!

At 14.5K, i decided that this is not going to work, so i went towards a shaded tree and just sat down.  At this point, i was in a give-up state - I wanted to run but all i could manage was walk. I needed a new plan. For about 3-4 mins, i just sat there. I knew that i was not in for time, but i wanted a good run for me.  Those precious mins of pure relaxation did me a world of good. I was back on my feet and ran until the 17K mark at a steady pace. But dehydration kicked in again. My legs were aching now, as if they also wanted water. I was no longer sweating as it seemed that my body didn't had that much water to spare.  From 17K, i was mostly walking up until i reached 20K.

Few meters before 20K a man running in opposite direction said - "What are you waiting for? Just run and finish the race". So started my jog. There were wonderful people in the last km to boost my morale. About 150m before the finish line, Santosh yelled - "Long Strides!" And like a muscle memory, they came - Long strides. I knew that this has not been a good run but my finish will be a good one.  Long strides! A man joins me at the 100m to run with me, pushing me. Longer strides. I smiled and in a flash i was across the finish line. A big thanks to Santosh and Runners High unit for making this happen.


No comments: