Friday, January 4, 2019

KTM + Mysuru 2018

Running a KTM has become almost like an annual event now. This was my fifth run. Kanishka's third run. But this time, I decided to do a Half marathon instead of 10K even though I was not prepared for it. But I still wanted to run the distance this time.  Since Kanishka and Aarti were running 10K which happens on Sunday, and I was 21K which was on Saturday, it meant that we would be in Mysuru for the weekend. Means, some sightseeing was on the table this time.

The plan -
Leave Bangalore Friday evening (5pm types) to reach Mysuru by 9 pm. Sleep early, wake up early and run the HM. Post HM, relax and do some sight seeing in the evening. Next day, do 10K and then freshen up and leave for BLR.

Day 0 -
We decided to drive on our own. We took the less crowded Kanakpura route which also had good scenic views along the way. Our stay was booked at this lovely Solitude homestay in Mysuru. The owner was living there and he was very helpful to us in guiding us to its location and also for nearby directions. In his absence, Google maps leaves you at middle of nowhere. The homestay is tucked in between some farms with a kachcha road to it and without some help, there is no way to reach there. But once reached, the food was homemade space was homely. Aarti decided to take the train and she would join us on Saturday noon.


Day 1 -
The RUN -
My run was decent. I was slow but never in pain. The KTM weather was nice as ever. I could see that I was slow but the point was to finish and that I did. It took me 3 hrs and 5 minutes. I wanted it to be under 3 hrs so was little disappointed. I would have taken 2:59 gladly :) But there was no injury and I got to finish a HM after almost 2 years, so that was a big relief. KTM trail never bores you and along the way the water stations had peanuts, oranges with salt, parleGs, bananas and potato chips. It felt like picnic. I stayed away from potato chips to finish the run.

Breakfast post run was decent but they ran out of Idlis by the time we got there. So, we took a quick stop at some Halli on the way back to our homestay.  On our way back, we crossed a lot of farms which had these nice yellow flowers. Kanishka decided to have her Virasaat - farm girl photo taken -



Day 1 : Post run
After relaxing, we went to pick up Aarti from station. Her train was later and we say the railway museum right next to the train station. The rail museum is surprisingly well maintained. It has some real old trains along with nice background information. It was clean with few visitors, quite peaceful.




After picking up Aarti, we were little hungry so we went to this old Mysuru place to have dosas - Original Vinayaka Mylari . Dosas were decent, we are spoilt by our Taaza thindi. Next, we went to this Karanji lake and took a short boat rides. There were good number of birds visible. It was almost sunset time so the air was on the pleasant side. Post the boat ride, we randomly walked into a bird sanctuary and saw these amazing peacocks. That totally made the day.




Back at the homestay, our hosts had prepared meal with a nice barbecue which I totally dug in. Kanishka and Aarti were little hesitant as they had their run next day.

Day 2
Day started with Kanishka and Aarti doing their 10K. Both of them had a strong finish. We did a lot of photo session with me pulling the medal from my day before run.





Post the run, for the first time in my KTM history, we decided to checkout the bird sanctuary right next to it. I was still little sore from my run yesterday but walked slowly. Bird sanctuary was alright. The Karanji lake boat ride was better than this boat ride although here we saw a lazy crocodile idling around. 


Post the run, we freshened up at the homestay and drove back. Aarti and Kanishka drove with me giving my usual driving commentary. But they drove very well and I was just happy with not driving.


No comments: