Saturday, October 26, 2019

Let's talk about death



Death is a subject that is not discussed openly. This is not an India specific problem, it is a worldwide phenomenon. It is ironic because it is perhaps one of the few certainties of life (until scientists make some remarkable discovery). In this post, I would like to share what I want upon my death.  A set of Dos and Don'ts


  • Do: Donate as many body parts as possible. I do not care if it is for another human being or if is it for some research. It is said that the consent should be given before. I have given my consent at multiple places but I have lost all the consent cards. Let this blog post be my consent. No body part is sacred, no destination is preferred. As long as there is a non-zero utility value, please give it off. 
  • Don't: Don't perform any of the rituals on me. Be it a Arya Samaj or Sanatan or anything. I do not believe in the concept of re-incarnation, I do not believe in the concept of Heaven or Hell. No purification rituals are needed, no body cleansing is needed. 
  • Don't : Do not donate any new clothes like shawls as an offering. Everybody agrees that it has become an industry now and what you donate will be recycled again and resold. It is a mindless exercise anyways. 
  • Do: If any body is left after donation, I would prefer an electric cremation over any other because its carbon footprint is the least. If there is another one that is discovered which is better for environment, use that. But at the same time, it should be a minimal effort affair. If an electric cremation is closer, use that.  If my body is in Himalayas or in vacant lands, just do a burial. There should not be any fuss over religion over cremation. 
  • Don't: As much as possible, do not buy any items, that means NO flowers, no Gangajal, no rice, wheat etc etc. A stretcher if needed for the body, re-use one if possible. 
  • Do & Don't: Do not perform any havan post death. Instead, donate to any institution that helps in education. Pick any one of your choice and donate. Think how much it costs to do a usual cremation,  avoid all that cost and donate equivalent amount to that institution.
  • Don't: Don't do any chautha, 13th, 10th etc etc. Instead remember that life goes on and carry on. Do the formalities and start making plans for future. Go travel to get some change of scenery. 

No comments: