Saturday, May 30, 2009

May ends

May 29, as today's Sun goes down, it takes away the last working day of May.
And so ends my one month of unshaven face. I lost the contest, well to an opponent who had made a lot of investment (time) in his beard, so no hard feelings. Moreover, this whole thing was an experiment on me, how long can i take it. And ofcourse an excuse to not shave for a month. Hostel days! Paradise!

But even though it was merely 30 days, i would say that it was a decent amount of time. Let me document the phases of my one month beard life. First three days went without any notice. Day 5-7 were little bit awkward. Urge was to quit, rationalizing questions on why, what and wtf were raised and ignored. The itch started from day 9 or 10 onwards. Sharp pointy hair, pulled down by gravity were like thorns against skin. Constant desire to go and wash face, constant dryness etc marked the middle phase. Itch grows stronger by each day. It is around day 20, one can feel/see the hair without looking at the mirror. And some strange feeling comes into mind. Something is hanging off me, like i am a plant, i can feel the tension in my facial hair, standing on my face. The itch is strongest at this point because it starts to affect both physically and mentally. This phase lasts for about 3 days and after mind accepts its fate. But the best period starts after day 25, where you dont feel anything. My beard becomes a part of me, the sharpness is gone, its soft like a grass on a lawn, like a kashmere rug :). And then comes day 30 where i say good bye to a nice social experiment. Thanks to those who had to bear my sight!

No comments: